The mission statement of the University Library Bern was published as a small flip-book. Order
Knowledge is the future
- The University Library Bern makes a major contribution to the success of the university and the significance of Bern as a seat of learning and research.
It is our task to provide literature and information
- With our collection of printed and electronic media and a wide range of services, we support university teaching and research as an academic library.
- As a cantonal library, we are also open to a wide public and thus promote personal continuing education.
- We preserve, extend and communicate our collections as an important part of the cultural assets of Bern.
- With our expertise, we advise other libraries, information and service offices.
We render service of a very high quality
- We ensure the fast and use-oriented provision of information and facilitate customer-friendly access.
- We promote information expertise with a wide-ranging program of training sessions and specialist advice.
- We create attractive places conducive to individual or shared learning, conversation and relaxing.
- We enrich the cultural life in Bern with diverse exhibitions and events.
The customers are the focus of our work
- We see our work as a service for an academically-oriented public.
- The requirements of our customers determine the development of what we offer.
- We maintain friendly relations to our customers.
- We engage in fair dealings with our business partners and nurture long-term relationships with them.
We appreciate our employees
- We treat each other with respect and support each other when carrying out our duties.
- Open communication and clear processes are important to us. We see interdepartmental collaboration as a benefit.
- We learn from our mistakes and see them as an opportunity to develop.
- We use the diverse range of training and continuing education to constantly improve.
- We are committed to training up-and-coming professionals.
We optimize our offer by engaging in cooperations
- We are networked within the university to constantly improve our services.
- Together with supraregional and national network partners, we ensure a powerful library network.
- We extend our sphere of influence in the collaboration with other cultural institutes.
- We attentively follow international research and developments in the information and documentation sector and introduce new measures quickly.
University Library Bern, December 2009