Most of the collections are freely accessible and can be borrowed (except for journals and special collections). They can be searched using swisscovery.
The books are arranged by subject group/callnumbers in the open access area of the library pavillon (ground floor to the right). Old books and special collections are kept in the university library storage vonRoll. They can be consulted there in the special reading room.
No interlibrary loans. Copies of documents less than 50 pages can be ordered online via swisscovery a PDF or on paper.
The Library of the Institute of Plant Sciences has its origins in the book collections of the Botanical Institute in the time of Ludwig Fischer (Professor of Botany from 1857 to 1897, flora of Bern) and his son Eduard Fischer (Professor of Botany from 1887 to 1933, specialist in mycology). They were followed by William Henri Schopfer (1933‒1962) whose main area of expertise was growth substances and their effects. The library was expanded over the course of time to include systematics and geobotany (especially flora and monographs) as focal areas. Furthermore, a large number of in some cases extensive collections and donations were incorporated into the library collection.
The present focal priorities of the Institute of Plant Sciences are vegetation, paleo and plant ecology as well as plant physiology and molecular biology. This is reflected in the current collection. Please contact the consultant, Peter von Ballmoos, with any purchase proposals.